Thursday 4 December 2014

Work Diary - Mapplethorpe

For this session, I had a good idea of what I wanted my pictures to look like. I wanted to have my subjects facing the camera, only showing part of their face. I was inspired to do this by Robert Mapplethorpe. However, after a while, I soon realised that almost all of my pictures were similar. I didn't know how to make my pictures look different as Mapplethorpe's work all consisted of the same concepts but then I decided to try using different angles and photographing different parts of my subjects' body so my pictures weren't repetitive.

I think this picture was quite successful because the whole frame is used; there is no wasted space. I also like the fact that only half my my subject's face is showing, this relates to Mapplethorpe and automatically makes the picture even more exciting. His face is also blurred a little bit, which further adds to this whole Mapplethorpe theme; it's controversial as the background is sharp and the subject is not, which isn't very common in photography. I also like how the background is a huge contrast to my subject as he is wearing dark clothes. This orange colour makes the photography look brighter and more attractive.


However, this picture didn't turn out as good because the face of the person is not present. This seemed like an interesting idea at first but it didn't work as well as I thought it would have. If I had included my subject's face with an expression, the picture could have been successful. A different angle could also have been used to take this picture, this would have allowed me to portray a Mapplethorpe theme and show the face of my subject. I also think the background and my subject kind of blends in so it very hard for me to show off my subject.



If I had the chance to do this session again, I would work on the facial expression which are on my subject's face. I think that by using certain expressions, I can set particular moods with each picture, giving my work more meaning.









I could show intimacy and create a bond between the viewer and my subjects.

No comments:

Post a Comment