Thursday 18 September 2014

Work Diary - Patterns

For this topic, our session was extremely interesting. It was fun to try and find patterns all around college. I found the session engaging as this specific topic of patterns required a lot of searching as normal everyday patterns such as on the pavements or on buildings weren't going to make interesting pictures. I had to find patterns that people wouldn't normal come across on a daily basis as this can make a picture repetitive and boring to look at. However, even with common patterns, I did try to make them look interesting by using weird angles and by zooming in to objects.

I think this picture is successful as this pattern is unusual; the stones alone aren't a pattern but because of the different shades of grey and different brown stones that are present, an irregular pattern is created. This makes the picture interesting and grabs the viewer's attention as the colours stand out. By editing the curves and the levels, I was able to put emphasis on the orangey, brown stones, allowing contrast to be shown between the grey and white stones. Once again, I used a high angle so that the stones were easy to see, whereas if I had used a lower angle, it wouldn't have been easy for the viewer to see the different coloured stones, thus making the pattern weaker, not emphasising on the pattern element in the image.


Out of all my pictures, this one is one of the worst ones, most probably because the pattern was too simple and the picture doesn't look very exciting. I think that a different angle could have been used to shop the wires clearly so that a pattern can be shown -  I could have also shown depth with the use of a different angle. Also, the black and white blends in with the grey, metal bit, preventing contrast to be shown and further reducing the element of pattern in the picture. I also noticed the little wholes in the metal and wanted to show this but unfortunately, I picked a completely wrong angle for this. I should have placed the camera underneath the wires; parallel to it, this would have been the best angle to achieve what I was trying to with the different ways I could have shown the element of pattern.



If I had the chance to do this session again, I would mostly zoom in on the scenes I'm working with. This is because some patterns could be revealed by zooming in or they could just be a bit clearer and look more captivating. 






Additionally, I would like to experiment with the angles in which my pictures are taken.




By zooming into objects like so, I can find new exciting patterns.


















No comments:

Post a Comment