Thursday 18 September 2014

Work Diary - Colours

For this session, we went outside ready to shoot the element of colour. Personally, I thought this was going to be fairly easy as colour is found all around us and is inevitable. However, despite the fact that colour was literally everywhere, I found it hard to choose the correct angles in which to take my pictures. I soon realised that the best way to do this was to capture the different tones/shades of the colour I could find in a scene as the colours would compliment each other, making them clear in my pictures. Another way I found to do this was to use contrast. By showing contrast, the colour/s I'm trying to capture can stand out and be emphasised.

After the session whilst looking back on the pictures I took, I think this one is one of my best ones because it is really sharp and you can see the different shades of green all over the grass. Moreover, contrast has also been used as the yellow contrasts with the green. I quite like this picture because it doesn't contain a variety of colours, just different shades of green and yellow, yet it still looks quite exciting and shows huge contrast as well as a great use of the element of colour. The angle of this image is also quite good because is allows the viewer to see the different shades clearly - even the shades that would not have been picked up if the angle was lower, closer to the ground.


This picture wasn't very successful as it looks dull. At first, I thought it would look quite good because there are two different shades of green, but they somehow don't stand out and this image is very boring to look at. I think this is due to the lighting - the Sun was not shining directly on the plant so its green colour does not stand out and looks like a plain, boring green. I could have picked a different angle where there was more light on the plant, this could have made the green colour look brighter and more attractive. Moreover, I could try editing it by adjusting the levels and the curves to see how it may help me bring out the element of colour through the greenery.



If I could do more shoots on colour, I would do it at night because the lights from buildings and landmarks are extremely bright and if taken correctly, they could make great pictures. I think this would be really fun and exciting as I will be able to experiment a lot.





The bright colours from the lights can contrast with the dark night sky. This will make a picture automatically look exciting.







I also think that the reflection of the lights on other buildings or on water look interesting and I would like to experiment with this.












The lights will also show contrast as they stand out from each other and make the picture attention-grabbing.

No comments:

Post a Comment