Thursday 4 December 2014

Work Diary - Contrast (Studio Shoot)

For this session, we set up the studio and we began to think of different ways to show contrast. This was harder than I anticipated because it soon became repetitive; I found it hard to find ways of positioning my subjects so contrast is shown clearly. However, we were then told that little changes in position of the subjects such as one of them facing the camera while my other subject has his/her back towards the camera could show contrast. I found that the easiest way to show contrast was through the use of colour. However, I tried challenging myself and avoid this method. Instead, I concentrated on moving my subjects around to find other ways to show contrast.

Out of all the pictures I took, this one is one of my most favourite ones because contrast is shown through several different ways. For example, the clothing and the hair colour of my subjects contrast with each other. The distance between them and the camera also show contrast. However, I should have avoided the shadow that has been created on the red background by one of my subjects, I think this ruins it a little bit. I focused the lighting on my main subject (the one at the front) so that the viewer focuses on her rather than the other one. I also should have blurred the my other subject slightly so that the focus is kept mainly on the girl at the front. This gives the viewer one thing to focus on rather than exploring the picture and getting lost, moving away from noticing the contrast that I am trying to show.



However, I don't think this picture worked out as well because both of my subjects look quite similar. Apart from their height, contrast is not really shown. I could have used a prop to make one of my subjects look different. I could also have asked one of them to lean down a bit more so the height difference is more noticeable. Alternatively, I could have used two subjects with different coloured hair so that contrast is shown even further. I could have picked a better background, maybe one with a lighter colour so that it doesn't distract the viewer from my subjects. If I could take this image again, I would have used a lower angle to further emphasise the difference between the heights of my subjects.




If we had the chance to do this session again, I would focus on using the sky to create contrast, especially sunsets. I would like to experiment with this and see in what way I can capture a scene and use the sky or the sun in the background so contrast is portrayed.






By capturing silhouettes, I think a will be able to show a sharp contrast between the sky and the scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment