Wednesday 1 October 2014

Work Diary - Reflection

For this session, we were told to go out around college and take photographs of reflections. Personally, I thought this would be quite easy because reflections are found all around us and they are unavoidable. However, as I started taking pictures, I soon realised that it wasn't as easy as I anticipated; mostly because my reflection was threatening the photographs and I could see myself in the buildings, windows, etc that I wanted to take a picture of. After some practice, I found that the best way to overcome this problem was to try different angles and find a good angle which would compliment my main focus and which would not include my reflection. 

I really liked this picture out of all of the ones I took because it looks like the building carries on in the reflection. Also, a pattern is created in the refection and the window panes on the glass building creates another pattern. The repetition of the building makes it seem bigger than it actually is, suggesting the importance of it. The reflection is really clear and sharp - it hasn't been distorted or anything, this makes the picture even more pleasant to look at and interesting as refection aren't usually this clear. I think this was due to the lighting on the day and I picked a good angle where half of the picture contains the reflection and the other half shows the actual building, creating balance and symmetry. I also made use of lines to show this element as well as all the others that are portrayed in this image such as colour, contrast and patterns.


However, I don't think this picture was successful because you can't really see a reflection; it's very faint. It  would have been better if this picture was taken at a different angle or on a sunnier day. I first thought this picture would turn out good because of the element of depth that is also being shown here. I think the yellow sign ruins the picture as it disturbs the pattern being shown by the bicycle shed, the top of the bin also does this. I should have taken this photograph closer to the shed.



If I had the chance to repeat this session, I would try to manipulate reflections so I could create an illusion; I'm still quite unsure how to do this but I would like to experiment and find out how - maybe try a variety of angles and lighting.






Like in this picture, I could place my subject somewhere outside the picture and find a way to create an illusion.







I could also use more than one mirror and created an illusion like this one and this will also create a pattern.
















By using water, I could be able to create a reflection of something exciting and create something similar to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment