Thursday 2 October 2014

Work Diary - Movement

In this session, the element of movement was our main focus. I found this to be much harder than I thought; probably the hardest out of all the elements we've done so far. This is mostly because most of my pictures didn't come out as I expected it too - they were mostly blurry and didn't really show movement as much as I wanted it to despite the camera being on the correct shutter speed. Overtime, I found that the slower something moves, the better it comes out in the picture. I also found that I'd have to take a picture a couple of times because my main focus was constantly moving so I had to find the right angle which would show off the element of movement best.

I really like this picture and I think it's been a success because you can see the movement of my main focus. Everything else in the picture is clear apart from my subject; which is where I wanted the viewer to focus on the picture. Some parts of his body has completely been faded out, this shows the speed of the movement and how his legs are moving faster than the rest of his body, showing the direction of the movement as well. For example, the fact that his legs are more faded and blurry show that he is jumping from the stairs down to the camera. I haven't included the face of my subject because I preferred the viewer not to pay attention to my subject himself but rather the movement that is taking place in the photograph. Additionally, the angle I have used is low on purpose because it emphasises the height of the jump he is about to do.


On the contrary, this picture is not one of my best ones. I think the idea was a good one at first because I thought the water would look really blurry and faded, whereas the rest of the picture would stay completely still and show contrast in this way but unfortunately, this was not the case. Also, I should have included the whole tap in this image to show symmetry and repetition. However, the water is transparent so therefore can hardly be seen, blending in with the white sink, which means that even if this picture did work and the water came out blurry, it wouldn't be very clear and easy to spot. 



If we had the chance to do this session again, I would like to experiment with water and explore all the different ways I can show movement. 








This may be hard to do but after experimenting, I think it will be fun to see how I can manipulate water and what prop I can use to do so.






I could also try and capture something mid-action to show movement even though the picture may not have any blurry bits.








I would also like to try and take pictures where my main focus is sharp and clear, whereas my background is blurry. I think this is an interesting and fun way to show movement.

No comments:

Post a Comment