Thursday 23 October 2014

Work Diary - Form (Studio Shoot)

For this session, we were told to go into the studio and shoot form. We were told about how lighting is used for this element in order to show shadows to emphasise the 3-dimensional element of the pictures we were going to take. This was quite easy at first at it was straight forward but after a while, it got repetitive and I eventually ran out of ideas. Most of my pictures consisted of someone standing in front of a black background, the only difference is that they have turned their bodies to face a different direction or that I have photographed a different part of their body. I tried using one or two props but this didn't really work. 

I think this picture is successful because half of my subject cannot be seen due to the shadows I have created. This shows the 3-Dimensional element of my main subject as her back is bright, whereas her front is completely dark. I used soft lighting in order to emphasise on the shadows and thus the form of my subject, this also helped to make her stand out. I like how her hair contrasts with her shirt, it makes his picture even more exciting. 



However, I don't think this picture was successful because no shadows are present so the element of form isn't really put forward. I think that if I maybe moved her body round a bit or used a different angle, form could have been shown. I initially thought that the movement of her hair would somehow show form by creating shadows but this didn't really work out. 



If I had the chance to do this session again, I would like to focus on hands. I think will give me a lot more to do and get my pictures to vary. I could manipulate the person's hands to create shadows and make my pictures look way more interesting. By being able to include different gestures, the pictures won't be repetitive and will all be equally as exciting.





I will be able to experiment with the lighting, thus manipulating the shadows.

No comments:

Post a Comment