Monday 15 September 2014

Work Diary - Lines

For our session, we were told to go outside and take photographs of lines. This sounded quite plain and simple at first but once I was outside, I noticed the different patterns and shapes created by lines around the college. I found it interesting how lines were found almost everywhere, for example; buildings, plants, shadows of trees, on the floor, etc. It was also interesting how there were several ways of manipulating the angles in which the pictures were taken to put emphasis on the lines found in the scene. I tried experimenting with this a bit to see how many different ways I could find to capture the element of lines.

This picture that I took is one of my favourite ones from the session, mostly because you can see both vertical and horizontal lines; some of which are blurry and thicker than others. It shows the diversity found in lines around us. There is also a contrast between the wall and the fence, both in colour and in the direction of the lines, making them stick out even more. The continuous patterns that are being shown here emphasises on my use of lines and it shows the repetition of it and connects it in some way.


Out of all the pictures I took, this one was the worst. This is because the lines aren't very clear. Although the idea of this picture seemed good at first, I later found that the stems were hidden by the leaves of the plants and weren't very bold. The Sun created shadows on the stem, not allowing the camera to pick them up clearly. I think I should have used a different angle to take this picture in so that instead of the Sun getting in the way, I could actually use this to my advantage and use the Sun in a way that would help me emphasise the element of lines in the picture.



If I had the chance to do this again, I would most probably go to Central London because the famous landmarks contain interesting lines creating a diversity of patterns. 





Also, there are difference types of lines which you can find all over Central London with different lengths, directions, shapes, etc.










Moreover, I would attempt to add variety in my pictures and show the differences in lines much more. 











I may be able to do this by focusing on a particular part of an object or by taking pictures at different angles to what I would normally do.


No comments:

Post a Comment