Sunday 21 September 2014

Work Diary - Depth

For this session, we were given the topic of depth. This was a bit unclear at the beginning but soon became easy and fun; we walked around college and I enjoyed looking for what I could photograph. The main concept was an object, building, path, etc looking big and eventually getting smaller as you move your eyes along the picture. This was interesting as I had to find out which the best angle was for each scene to make the main focus look like it had more depth than expected. By manipulating the angles used in each picture, I could make something look like it had more depth than it actually did in real life. This made my pictures look exciting and adventurous.

Out of all my pictures, I think this one is the best because it's clear and symmetrical. The topic of depth is highlighted immensely in this photograph as we can see how the drain gets thinner and thinner. This makes this path look longer than it actually is, which emphasises on the depth of it even more and creating some sort of illusion. The element of lines is also shown in this image, turning into the element of pattern as the lines on the pavement make a rectangular pattern. Also, the drain acts as a guiding line as it guides the viewer from the bottom of the image to the very top. The contrast between the green, pink and black emphasise all the elements found in this picture and also adds the element of colour.



However, this is one of the worst pictures I took in this session because the angle in which I took the picture was not the correct one; the topic of depth isn't clear enough. I should have placed my camera on the red bit of the metal fencing and only capture the rest of the object - the angle should have been a higher one. The other metal materials around the one I was focusing on takes this focus away as it doesn't look as unique and exciting anymore. I should have omitted this bit so that the viewer can only pay attention to the object I want them to focus on. Additionally, the use of colour wasn't very smart; all the colours present are dull and plain, making the picture even more boring and unattractive to look at.



If I could do this again, I would probably try blurring the background of the photographs. This is because it makes the main focus have a little more depth. It also makes it seem like the main focus in the picture if too long and far away that it can't be seen clearly.




No comments:

Post a Comment